Monday, April 4, 2011

Love Covers a Multitude of Sins

In reading a request for prayer from a young military wife in regards to her marriage and family, it brought back the memories of my husband’s previous tour of duty in 2009.

She shared the stress and impact she is experiencing due to her husband’s strenuous position in the military and his upcoming deployment. She mentioned how he has become verbally abusive, paranoid and unreasonable with her and their children.

“I love him so much but I’m scared of the man he has become” she desperately shares in her letter.

My heart went out to this woman because I knew exactly what she is going through and the fears she has.

I remember the phone calls that I desperately waited for during my husband’s last deployment. It consisted of insecurities, jealousy, accusations and rage. Because of his fears, stresses and lack of physical rest my husband became irritable and verbally abusive towards me.

Upon his return he became paranoid and unreasonable as well. He was cautious and apprehensive and spiritually depleted. Our marriage became cold and distant. As much as I tried to get near, the more I was rejected. I pleaded with him and spent countless nights pouring out tears of desperateness to the Lord. I literally felt I was in bed with a stranger. I didn’t know who this man was anymore. I was scared. I felt alone even as I lay next to him.

But I knew that this man had seen and experienced things that I could never comprehend. The nightmares he struggled with daily and the screams he would let out only gave me a glimpse to what he endured.

There were countless times in which I had to fight this battle in silence and on my knees. I refused to acknowledge the man he has become because it was not the man God created him to be, nor the man I fell in love with.

My wonderful, caring, kind, gentle, selfless and loving husband was still present only covered by the darkness of his experiences. I purposed to trust in the Lord to restore him and to restore our marriage. It was not an easy road to recovery but slowly we were healing.

Despite it all, my love for my husband caused me to stand beside him and I will continue to do so even through out this deployment. I don’t know what lies ahead during these months, but I do know the One who does: My Father in Heaven. Therefore I place my hope and trust in Him……

I advise you to do the same. It is our only hope in enduring the changes and stresses that are to come. Our husbands are not set out on purpose to treat us harshly. Despite how strong they may appear as men, they are scared.

Ladies, cover your husbands in prayer and let your love cover their sins against you.....

“Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins”. ~ 1 Peter 4:8

“Hatred stirs up quarrels, but love makes up for all offenses”. ~ Proverbs 10:12

 "We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield."
~ Psalm 33:20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers of this Page: