Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Why couldn't I just leave it ALONE!"

Recently, I found my first bible that was given to me as a gift in celebration of my Baptism in 1997. It was full-grain, soft burgundy leather Ryrie Study Bible (NASV Version-Red Letter).  Absolutely beautiful bible! It was especially dear to me as I had my favorites scriptures marked, special notes & dates and an account of what I experienced on the day of becoming a new creation in Christ!

Through the years I had acquired several bibles in other translations and have placed this one on the shelf.  It became dusty, the leather was worn and dull and there were a few small blotches of what I perceive as white paint (how it got there is beyond me). 

It was my delight to read all the highlighted scriptures as I can only reminisce on the hunger I had developed as a new Christian.  I almost highlighted the whole bible!

Since rediscovering it, I have placed it back on my coffee table!

Well, today I did a very, very, very foolish thing! I wanted to remove the white specks and blotches from my bible and restore its luster.  So, I happen to take some rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs and began to rub, rub, and rub. Oh no! Not only did I add to the dullness but I rubbed the coloring off of it! 

Now, I had a discolored and streaked bible!  I was so upset at myself! “Why couldn’t you just leave it alone”, I asked myself.  I’ve made things worse! 

I then asked the Lord what I can use to restore it.  He reminded me of a bottle of oil from Sally Hansen that was stored in my bathroom cabinet.  Originally this is for the cuticles not bibles! But in His mercy He offered a solution to my failed attempt to restore things myself!  I spread the oil over the bible and as I rubbed it, in the Name of Jesus, its luster was restored including the white spots!!!  Oh my bible was glistening with its original beauty!

I’m sure that over time, the oil I had used will rub off. BUT I also know that when it does, I can use the oil to bring it back to its radiance.

How many times have we utter those very words (Why couldn’t I just leave it alone?) in an attempt to fix something! 

We in ourselves cannot do “nothing apart from God” (John 15:5) for the results will only be disastrous as in my “bible restoring” experience.

Whether we were trying to accomplish a task; fulfill a dream; repair something that was broken; or rebuild a relationship or ourselves -  we must seek God’s counsel. 


It is written in Proverbs 3: 5-6 (The Message):

Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
   don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
   he's the one who will keep you on track.
Don't assume that you know it all.



Nonetheless, the Lord is merciful to us! He gives us an overflow of His Oil (Holy Spirit) to continuously restore us and all the other things in our lives that needs restoration! Praise God!! Thank You Jesus. 

Warning:  Do NOT use rubbing alcohol on a leather bible!! LOL



1 comment:

  1. Hi Maggie,
    What a beautiful illustration of God's ability to make us as beautiful and shiny as new. His Holy Spirit indeed restores...in so many ways.

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog and celebrating with me! Have a blessed week. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Followers of this Page: