Friday, March 18, 2011

Lonesomeness in Disguise

What defines loneliness? Loneliness is an unpleasant feeling in which a person experiences a strong sense of emptiness and solitude resulting from inadequate levels of social relationships.  (taken from wikipedia.org)

Of course it’s an unpleasant feeling! Especially when the one you love; the man you have shared everyday with is millions of miles away!  



This morning after I returned from taking my son to school, I entered my home to find an unwelcoming presence.  Its appearance was like a shadow lurking, awaiting to overpower my soul the moment I opened my door.   This darkness was a familiar admirer.  It has returned although I had place restraints. Or did I?

Emptiness has returned to store my emotions of loneliness and create an overwhelming feeling of gloom.  This intruder sensed the counterfeit solutions I adapted to avoid its traps.

My disguise consisted of the following:

  1. Busyness: filling my life with activities so that I don’t have to think about my loneliness.
  2. Buying: purchasing something new to make me feel better
  3. Bed: sleeping during the day to avoid the sting of loneliness

Although my busyness consisted of “godly things” my approach failed. My efforts created a false sense of peace.  Buying, whether it was “things” or “comfort food” only produced a false satisfaction.  Creeping into bed during the day to avoid “feeling”, has only robbed me of precious “alone” time with the Lord.

In essence, loneliness will always lurk while our spouses are away but we don’t have to live in the darkness it produces.  The first step is to identify the masks you are hiding behind to deal with your husband’s absence. The second is to take them off! The third is to bring them to the Lord in confession and repentance.  And lastly, be open to receive the true peace that solely comes from God.  

"Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.]" ~ John 14:27 Amplified Bible


Do not permit the intruder of darkness to intimidate you. Instead when it comes to trouble you, call on the Prince of Peace; Jesus Christ!  His Light dispels the darkness! Therefore abide in Him and live in His glorious peace!

May peace be with you.......

2 comments:

  1. Lord, I thank you for exposing the falseness of peace that I adapted myself. Forgive me for doing so. Lord I know that you are with me for your Word says "I will never leave you or forsake you" and I will rest in this promise. Therefore I am not alone. Thank you for being my friend and my peace. You are my strength and shield! I love you so much! In The Name of The Prince of Peace; Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. For You light my lamp; The LORD my God illumines my darkness" ~ Psalm 18:28

    ReplyDelete

Followers of this Page: